Friday, August 8, 2008

Week 28: The Chinese Cabbage

Good Morning!

So... we've made it to 28 weeks, 7 months down!!! What is REALLY fun to think about is that basically after 35 weeks or so - you are pretty much good to go to deliver. The baby just puts on weight after that... YIKES! As for our vegetable this week - a chinese cabbage - well I suppose timely as the Olympics are starting in China on Friday... otherwise I don't know much about this vegetable. Again, you have to wonder about the vegetable researcher behind all of these....

Next week I go to the doctor again - this time for my glucose test. I have this orange flavored drink I have to jug in 5 minutes and then have blood drawn exactly one hour after I finish the drink. Sounds really exciting, let me tell you. The biggest thing is I can't have my ONE cup of coffee that day. That is almost worse than the needle stick...

Till next time!
Amanda and Jeff

PS: We owe you a new bump picture - but Jeff is out of town this weekend. I promise to show a new photo of the ever growing (and moving!) basketball next week!

How your baby's growing:
By this week, your baby weighs two and a quarter pounds (like a Chinese cabbage) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of her head to her heels. She can blink her eyes, which now sport lashes. With her eyesight developing, she may be able to see the light that filters in through your womb. She's also developing billions of neurons in her brain and adding more body fat in preparation for life in the outside world.

How your life's changing:
You're in the home stretch! The third and final trimester starts this week. If you're like most women, you'll gain about 11 pounds this trimester. (awesome)

Around this time, some women feel an unpleasant "creepy-crawly" sensation in their lower legs and an irresistible urge to move them while trying to relax or sleep. If this sensation is at least temporarily relieved when you move, you may have what's known as restless legs syndrome (RLS). No one knows for sure what causes RLS, but it's relatively common among expectant mothers. Try stretching or massaging your legs, and cut down on caffeine, which can make the symptoms worse. Ask your caregiver if you should try iron supplements, which can sometimes relieve RLS.

1 comment:

The Dad said...

Mom and I were talking over dinner last night about when she will be heading up you way when the baby decided it is time. I had the distinct impression that she is ready to go now. In any case - keep exercising and eating healthy foods - not sure about whether or not the chinese cabbage is the best thing for you - major gas reatoftr consuming - correct?